Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My service dog's job

FYI

 Wherever I go, BooRadley will be there.

That means stores, restaurants, churches, homes and yes, the funeral home.

 He is my Service Dog.

 He is not there to be your entertainment, to be talked to, touched or petted. He is there to work.

 You don't need to know his job or understand it.

 Just because I may allow you to talk to and pet him does not mean that is what he's there for. (And God bless the people who ask first because otherwise it's as jarring and invasive at times as grabbing a person's blind cane or person's prosthetic!)

He loves people and I understand people are drawn to him, but he is as much a service dog as a seeing eye dog.

 Respect that.

 Now that I've said that, I want you to know that while he is trained to do a job, he is human (so to so to speak) and he may need you to back off and don't distract him.

 Let him work when I am at the funeral home.

 If I sound harsh, well, I'm trying to deal with the loss of my cousin. As an only child, my cousins mean a lot to me. I don't know what having a brother or sister feels like except maybe how I feel about my cousins.

 Boo has an enormous job ahead of him the next few days. This may be his biggest job challenge yet.

If he makes a mistake, don't say he is not doing his job at all. Or that he isn't a service dog. Maybe feel sympathy for him and add him to your prayers.

 Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment